- To participate in the CodePink Humanitarian Delegation to Pakistan
- - To meet with the victims of drone attacks and hear their stories
- - To participate in a massive march and rally in opposition to US Drone Strikes in Pakistan
Dear Friends of Peace,
The US is not at war with Pakistan. Yet US drone attacks kill hundreds of people in the northern part of Pakistan every year, most of them civilians. Five members of the Upstate Coalition to Ground the Drones and End the Wars traveled to Pakistan September 26 to October 13, 2012 with a group led by CodePink co-founder Medea Benjamin, author of "Drone Warfare: Killing by Remote Control" and facilitated by Shahzad Akbar of the Pakistani NGO, The Foundation For Fundamental Rights in Pakistan.
Those of us who went to Pakistan wanted to reach out the victims of America's illegal Predator and Reaper done strikes in Northern Pakistan, and stand in solidarity with them. We did that, and much more. We joined the victim's families and Imran Khan's anti-drone March and traveled to the border of South Waziristan, where we were stopped by the police, not by terrorists. At a rally on a large farm in Tank, we took the stage and were greeted with chants of "Welcome" and "What do you want?" "Peace". It was a powerful moment.
We also met with other victims of the US War on Terror in Pakistan. Thousands have been attacked, apprehended, killed, disappeared and punished in Pakistan caught in the net of a US War of Terror fought in their country. Millions have been impoverished and culturally marginalized due to the global neoliberal economy ordained and controlled by the US. It is critically important that we go beyond indicting the criminal actions of our government, to begin building new relationships that will protect these people from further harm and bring their stories into the light.
Below is a list of our members who traveled with the CodePink Civilian Peace Delegation to Pakistan with contact information. Please contact one of us if you would like to have a speaker in your town or city.
In love and peace,
- Pakistan Delegates:
- Judy Bello of Rochester, NY: jb.papillonweb [at] gmail.com
- Daniel Burns of Ithaca, NY: db6976 [at] gmail.com
- James Ricks of Ithaca, NY: chavoc31 [at] gmail.com
- Bonny Mahoney of Buffalo, NY: bonkay93 [at] yahoo.com
- Joe Lombardo of Albany, NY: jlombard [at] nycap.rr.com